Who doesn’t love a nice three-day weekend? For many Americans, Memorial Day marks the official beginning of summer; time for pools to open, barbecues with friends and playing in the surf. However, to military families, the meaning runs much deeper. Memorial Day is the day on which those who died in active military service are remembered. Teaching young children the meaning of this day can be difficult. It is important for children to understand why Memorial Day is a holiday and what it means to our country’s history and our military families.
There are several ways to explain and honor this holiday with your children. Spend time talking to them about what Memorial Day means to you, and share stories about friends and family members who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.
- Visit a local veteran’s cemetery
- Take cookies, books, or movies to a nearby veteran’s hospital
- Go to a Memorial Day parade
- Plan a scavenger hunt that helps them learn about the history of Memorial Day
- Find Memorial Day coloring pages, craft projects, word searches, quizzes and more
- Create a card or picture to be sent overseas to a soldier currently on active duty
Share with us the ways your family celebrates and honors Memorial Day.