When you step into the classroom of a Montessori school, you may notice its welcoming, organized, and child-friendly environment. Each corner, piece of furniture, and learning material is designed and placed to increase accessibility to children and engage their imagination and natural curiosity.
As a leading provider of child care in Rockville, Maryland, we share the unique features of a Montessori classroom:
- Multiple activity areas – The Montessori approach to learning encourages children to pursue individual activities at their own pace through multiple activity areas.
- Multi-age classrooms – Similar to summer camp in Maryland, a Montessori classroom is multi-aged with children being assembled in three-year age groups to encourage relationship-building and mentoring.
- Engaging learning materials – A Montessori education encourages hands-on learning which means children learn by doing tasks on their own. This encourages self-reliance and builds their self-confidence.
- Child-friendly design – Montessori classrooms are designed with the child’s needs and interests in mind. So every piece of furniture, activity area, and fixture is child-sized and easily accessible to accommodate children comfortably.
- Observant teachers – Unlike traditional classrooms where teachers simply give out instructions, Montessori teachers are trained to be observant to help guide each student as they pursue different activities independently.
Norbeck Montessori is a well-established preschool in Maryland offering several programs to promote early childhood development. From kindergarten to enrichment programs, get in touch with us for more information about our programs.